Thai-Style Chicken Soup
1. Mince 2 onions, 6 garlic cloves and 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger. Trim off and discard all but the bottom
5 inches of 2 stalks of lemon grass; bruise 5 inch pieces with the back of a chef's knife. Peel 2 carrots and slice 1/4 inch thick. Tie 10 cilantro stems together with twine. Trim 8 ounces white mushrooms and slice thin.
2. Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
3. Stir 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 14 ounces canned coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots,
1 Tablespoon fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker. Season 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender,
4 to 6 hours on low.
4. Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces. Let soup settle for
5 minutes, then skim fat from surface using a large spoon. Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
5. Stir in mushrooms, cover, and cook on high until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 15 minutes. Microwave
14 ounces canned coconut milk in a bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in 2 Tablespoons fish sauce,
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 Tablespoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste to dissolve.
6. Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about
5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and sliced scallions.
Canned Coconut Milk
(2 cans needed for this recipe)
|Thai Red Curry Paste|