Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chocolate Passover Cookies


These may not look like much on the outside, but they more than make up for it in substance.  I mean, how can you go wrong with a cookie that has a full pound of chocolate in the recipe?  I was looking for something new to bake for my mother-in-law's Passover seder and I found just what I was looking for here, at Martha Stewart's site.  It looks like mine spread out a bit more than hers, but they were still yummy.  (I cheated on my diet a little bit and tried one...only one...OK, two.)  Luckily, I have Sweetpea and hubby around to polish off the left-overs.

Here are my notes for this recipe:

I used a #16 disher (1/4 cup ice-cream scoop) to portion out the dough.  I needed to use two baking sheets and baked no more than 9 cookies, staggered, on each sheet.  It made 16 cookies.

I whipped the whites to stiff peaks as indicated in the recipe.  Next time, I will try super-stiff peaks to see if that keeps them from spreading as much. 

I ended up needing to bake the cookies for 14 minutes, rather than the 10-12 called for in the recipe.  I use an oven thermometer, but I still usually need to bake for the longer times in most recipes.

I used Trader Joe's chocolate chips and their Pound-Plus Dark Chocolate Bar for the bittersweet chocolate called for in the recipe.


1 comment: