Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Halloween Recap

The last of the Halloween candy has been eaten/ dispersed/ disposed of.  I finally have a chance to sit down and post my pictures.  I know everyone is already well on their way to Thanksgiving, but "better late than never" is my motto, so here goes:

SugarBear was Jack Sparrow.  Excuse me, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.


We purchased the hat w/ attached wig at the Disney Store.  I made his clothes from this pattern:

McCall's M4952

I purchased some wool crepe and spirit glue from a Halloween store to make the beard.  The brown looked darker in the package, but I probably should have used black. SugarBear didn't complain, so I won't worry about it any longer.  I used face-paint for the mustache.





We had big plans of turning SweetPea into Sally from
The Nightmare Before Christmas:


But, we ended up getting a Halloween store costume the week before.  "Best laid plans..." I guess.  She also ended up being a pirate:


We did end up going to a Halloween party, and I went with an "Eyeball" theme to whip up some treats:

Peanut Butter Eyeballs

(Mix 1 cup creamy peanut butter with 1 stick softened, unsalted butter.  Beat in 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar until well blended.  The mixture should be thick enough to roll into 1-inch balls.  Refrigerate the balls until they are firm enough to dip.  I used white candy coating to dip them.  Use the pre-colored frosting sold in tubes to make the veins and iris.  Brown M&Ms are the pupils.)

Cheesy Eyeballs

(Mix 8-ounces softened cream cheese with a 16-ounce package pre-shredded 4-cheese blend.  Shape into 1 1/4-inch balls.  Stir some chili powder into ketchup and use that to pipe on veins.  Guacamole and sliced ripe olives make the iris and pupil.)

The kids have already started planning their costumes for next year, so I better end this post and get started sewing.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on this Jack Sparrow costume! My son wants to be Jack Sparrow for Halloween this year so I was looking for inspiration on Pinterest. Do you remember where you got the boots??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found them at Old Navy 3 years ago. They were in the girl's section (unbeknownst to my son).

    ReplyDelete