Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Cookie Parade: Confetti Bars

This is a post from my old blog, circa 2008:


I wanted to do a cooking project with the kids so I pulled out a recipe for Confetti Bars that I have been wanting to try. The bars are basically Rice Krispie Treats with Fruit Loops and Cap'n Crunch added into the mix (make sure you have your insulin shot ready). The kids had fun measuring and stirring while I handled the stove.



Here is the original recipe (from marthastewart.com):

Confetti Bars:

9 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tea salt
12 cups (2 1/2 bags) miniature marshmallows
6 cups each of Rice Krispies, Fruit Loops and Cap' Crunch cereals
cooking spray

1. Spray a 9x9x2 inch pan with oil. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the salt and marshmallows; stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the cereals until combined.

2. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Press firmly and evenly into the pan and let cool for at least 30 minutes.

3. Cut into 3x3 bars. Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.

This is what we came up with:


You'll notice that I used a bigger pan. Based on comments at the website, most people mentioned that there was just too much mixture to fit in the 9x9 pan. The recipe uses 18 cups of cereal, for goodness sakes! I took their advice and used a 9x13 pan. If we make these again, I think I will use the smaller pan and halve the recipe. Even in a very large stockpot, that much cereal and marshmallow was difficult to stir. One last tip is to spray a large piece of foil with the cooking spray and place that on top as you press the mix into the pan to keep it from sticking to your hands.

The kids pose with their creation:


Diagnosis? Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment