Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chicken Pomodoro




One of my favorite magazines to pour over for yummy recipes is Cook's Country.  I recently  received the February/March 2010 issue in my mailbox.  One of the first recipes to catch my eye was one for Chicken Pomodoro (recipe card section).  It has all the flavors that my family loves:  tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic.  I decided to try it out.

All I can say is, "Wow"!  Even though the sauce has some cream in it, it was nice and light and fresh tasting.  Hubby deemed it a keeper after the first bite.  This is definitely one I will make for friends and family quite often.


Chicken Pomodoro

Pat 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts dry with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook chicken until golden on each side.  Transfer to a plate.  (I lightly pounded my chicken breasts first.   I find that it keeps them more tender.)

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the same skillet and cook 1 finely chopped onion until softened.  Add 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Bring to a boil, then add cooked chicken and its juices back into the skillet.  Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a platter and tent with foil.  Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over cooked pasta (rigatoni is nice).

1 comment: