Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Birthday: Round Two





So Sugarbear wanted to go bowling with his friends for his birthday party.  I was flipping through my copy of Hello, Cupcake!, and I found a cute idea for some bowling pin cupcakes.  I also wanted to try out my Wilton Sports Ball pan, so I decided to make a bowling ball cake to go with the cupcakes.

Well, I loved how the cupcakes turned out!  I frosted some standard-size cupcakes, placed some unwrapped, mini-cupcakes upside-down on top of them, and then used some more frosting to attach donut holes to the very top.  I let them firm up in the fridge for a bit and then iced lightly over the whole thing.  Then I used a pastry bag with a #16 star tip to cover the cakes evenly.  The stripes and triangles were cut from strawberry Fruit by the Foot.  In the book, the author melts canned frosting and dips the cupcakes, which gives a nice, smooth finish.  I like to make my own frosting and wasn't sure how it would melt, so I went with piping. 

The ball cake turned out to be slightly difficult.  Next time, I will fill the pans a bit more full of batter and then trim the cake edges down to make a more rounded, as opposed to oblong, shape.  Also, I will ice one side, let it firm up, then flip it onto the serving board and ice the other side.  Sugarbear was more than pleased, so I won't beat myself up about it. 






My favorite frosting recipe produces an icing that is a cross between a buttercream and a whipped-cream frosting.  It came from one of my Wilton cake decorating class books.  They call it Extra-Special Buttercream Icing, and extra-special it is!  Even people who claim that they don't like frosting seem to enjoy it.  It is a good icing for frosting and shell-type borders, but is too soft to pipe flowers.


Extra-Special Buttercream Icing

1.  Cream 1 cup vegetable shortening* and 1 cup softened butter in a standing mixer.  Reduce the mixer to the lowest speed and gradually mix in 2 pounds of confectioners sugar.  Continue creaming until well blended.

2.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons clear vanilla**, and 6 ounces whipping cream and blend on low speed until moistened.  You may add up to 8 ounces of cream to reach your desired consistency.

3.  Beat at high speed until icing is fluffy.

*No trans-fat shortening does not take food coloring well (it separates overnight), and tends to make a looser icing.  Check the store brand shortenings as they tend to be "old-style" shortenings.  There is also high-density shortening, which is available from cake decorating suppliers, but I have never tried it.

**Clear vanilla won't tint your icing yellow and is available here.


6 comments:

  1. You know when you talked about the start I didn't realize that you covered each pin with the stars! WOW! I just saw them upclose in your pictures...
    Also your saying this icing isn't good to color pink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to tint the icing, use the "old-style" shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. БК MelBet пользуется большой популярностью на российском рынке: -Деятельность компании лицензирована; - Пользователям предоставлен впечатляющий список ставок - в формате live и предматчевых; - Тут нет задержек с выплатами. Линия ставок неописуемо привлекательна. Для того, чтобы получить прибыльный бонус на совершение ставок, нужно всего лишь использовать промокод MelBet RS777. Получить промокод вы можете на ставку либо на депозит. Каждое предложение имеет свои особенности отыгрыша - промокод на бонус MelBet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Бонусы и поощрений в БК 1хбет существенно повышает привлекательность компании в глазах пользователей. Очень выгодные предложения доступны как новеньким, и пользователям, уже имеющим опыт работы на платформе. В числе внушительного набора бонусной программы очень очень просто потеряться. Каждый промокод 1хбет гарантирует право на определенные преференции - промокод на 1хбет при регистрации.

    ReplyDelete
  5. В 2023 году промокод 1хбет предоставляющий максимальный бонус - 1XFREE777. Бонусные средства начисляются автоматически на отдельный счет и их сразу вы можете использовать для игры - промокод 1хбет.

    ReplyDelete