Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The New Arrival



To celebrate the birth of my new "baby" (this blog), I thought it would be nice to show some baby items that I've made recently. These were made for my neighbor's new baby girl, Ainsley Lynn. I used a basic knit-on-the-diagonal, garter stitch pattern from Lion Brand yarn, using Cotton-Ease in Lime. It is somewhat plain, so I knew that I wanted to crochet some cute flowers to make it pop. I found this free daisy bookmark pattern, and completed rounds 1 through 3 with Lily Sugar'n Cream yarn.

I made a daisy for each corner and attached them by sewing around the base of the flower with the green yarn, leaving the petals free.

I wanted to make a little something else to go with the blanket so I purchased this sunhat pattern from youcanmakethis.com (one of my favorite sites). It is made from the same yarns as the blanket.

I entered both of these items at the Ventura County Fair this year and received honorable mentions for both. There were some amazing knit and crochet items entered this year. It's nice to know that lots of people are still out there making awesome things!

Now I need to wrap these up and present them to little Ainsley. She's almost 3-months old now so I better get crackin'.

4 comments:

  1. What are the dimensions of the baby blanket? I'm not an expert knitter or a mama, so I'm not sure when I should start decreasing on this blanket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making the same blanket right now. I love your addition of the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My version came out to be 34" square. I used my kitchen scale to divide the 5th skein in half. I ended up having to use a small amount of the 6th skein I purchased for the hat. For my next one, I will knit the increase rows with 2 skeins plus 40% of the 3rd, then start my decrease rows.

    ReplyDelete