Soft and Chewy Dinner Rolls
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 200°F and turn it off. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease a large, clear, straight-sided container. Heat 1¼ cups water to 110°F. Bring 1 large egg to room temperature and beat lightly.
2. Whisk water, 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, and 1 Tablespoon sugar in a large liquid measuring cup until sugar dissolves. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, mix 3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup instant potato flakes, 2¼ teaspoons instant yeast and 1½ teaspoons salt until combined. With mixer on low, slowly add water mixture and mix until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Continue to mix on medium speed until dough is smooth and comes away from sides of bowl, about 6 minutes.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead briefly to form a smooth, cohesive ball. Transfer dough to prepared container and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in turned-off oven until dough has doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
4. Gently press down on dough on lightly floured counter. Divide dough into quarters and cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces. Form each piece into rough ball by pinching and pulling dough edges under so that the top is smooth. On clean counter (not floured), cup each ball with your palm and roll into smooth, tight ball. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic and let rest in turned-off oven until doubles in size, about 20 minutes. (Unbaked, formed rolls can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)
5. Remove unbaked rolls from oven and discard plastic. Heat oven to 400°F. Brush rolls with egg and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake until golden brown and 200°F in the middle, about 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Cool rolls on sheet for 10 minutes before serving.