(ounces/grams) = weight
1. Bring 5 large eggs to room temperature. Sift 1 cup (4 ounces) cake flour. Adjust an oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 18 x 13-inch rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper; grease parchment.
2. Whisk cake flour, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs with 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar until pale yellow and thick, 6 to 10 minutes. Add 1 cup (244g) canned pumpkin puree, and mix on low until incorporated. Fold in flour mixture until combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and bake until cake is firm and springs back when touched, about 15 minutes.
3. Before cooling, run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, and turn it out onto a clean sheet of parchment paper that has been dusted with confectioner's sugar. Gently peel off parchment attached to cake and discard. Roll cake and fresh parchment into a log and cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. To assemble, gently unroll cake and spread with 3 cups cream cheese frosting (recipe follows), leaving a 1-inch border at edges. Re-roll cake snugly, leaving parchment behind. Wrap cake firmly in plastic wrap and chill completely, at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days. Remove plastic, dust with confectioners sugar, and garnish with toasted/spiced pecans.
Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Soften 8 Tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter and 8 ounces cream cheese; cut into 4 pieces. Sift
2 cups (8 ounces) confectioner's sugar.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese one piece at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix until no lumps remain.